The student news site of Southfield High School
Members+of+the++Competitive+Cheer+team+stand+in+the+ready+position+before+beginning+each+cheer.+

De'Enlas Head

Members of the Competitive Cheer team stand in the ready position before beginning each cheer.

Competitive Cheer Team Ends First Season

March 6, 2015

The Super Blue Southfield Competitive Cheer Team ended its first season one tournament away from qualifying for regionals.

They placed ninth in their last OAA Competitive Cheer tournament, which cost them the chance to move on in the playoffs.

The ladies finished fourth in their league, wearing pink shirts before every competition that read, “Don’t let the bows fool you, underneath the glitter is a beast SHS competition cheer.”

With 15 girls

Members of the Southfield High Competitive Cheer team anxiously await their turn during a competition.
De’Enlas Head

on the team, they struggled with recruiting not being able to qualify for the third round in their first competition.

Team captain Breanah Boyd had a lot to say about her first season. “We had an awesome team with nothing but positivity.” She went on to say, “We built strong relationships with each other, allowing us to trust each other out on the floor.”

Boyd cheered on the sidelines for football and basketball for three years and had been waiting for the opportunity for Southfield to bring a competitive cheer team.

Senior Kaleb Baker said she enjoyed this year’s season.  Joining the team right before the last competition, Baker said she loved the fact that everyone was a family and no one was disrespectful to anyone. She was captain of the varsity cheer.

The team plans to take a crack at it again next season. Baker’s advice for the girls next year is “to be prepared to work and be a beast.  That’s the only option to be a Blue Jay.”

View Comments (2)

The Southfield Jay • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (2)

All The Southfield Jay Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• L

laronna chambersMar 17, 2015 at 8:37 am

I’m really proud of our competive cheer, especially because it’s their first year.

Reply
  • K

Kelsee WhiteMar 11, 2015 at 11:13 am

It’s nice that the cheerleaders were able to have an opportunity to cheer competitively.

Reply
2