Wrestling Team Gets New Coaching Trio

Junior Timon Reed attempts to put his Avondale opponent on his back.  Reed wrestles in the 112-pound weight class.

Rachel Walker

Junior Timon Reed attempts to put his Avondale opponent on his back. Reed wrestles in the 112-pound weight class.

Aleena Montgomery, Staff Writer

Former Oakland University Wrestler Eric Moon has accepted the Varsity Wrestling coach position.
His first move was to rename senior Jake Brock and junior Max Doggett as team captains (as selected by former Coach Tim Conley). He also added a third captain, senior Jaylon Franklin.

His second move was to hire two new assistant coaches. Kevin Cunningham is a recent Evans Scholar graduate from Michigan State University who graduated from Clawson High, where he was a wrestler.
Michael Johnson was a heavy weight wrestler at Iowa Central Community College and a graduate of Ferndale High School. He also served in the military.

Both assistant coaches are young and wrestle with the kids and are hungry for knowledge, said Moon.
Former Wrestling Coach Conley said, “I had a lot of work with the football program, and I wanted someone with a lot of attention to be dedicated to individual wrestlers to keep the program going.”

Moon said, “I’m at the point in my life where I have the time and ability to do it; I really wanted to be a part of the Blue Jays, so I went for it.”

Moon said, “My end goal is to make high character young men.”

Moon said the team is in need of someone to wrestler in the 103-pound weight class. Anyone who can make 103 (pounds) can have the spot, Moon said.

Moon said making the team is easier than staying on the team. He demands that his wrestlers attend practice regularly, maintain their grades and remain healthy. Those who do not, will not be sent out on the mat during matches, he said.

“It’s no different sending someone who’s not prepared (to wrestle) than sending no one at all,” Moon said. “I have been stressing to the guys to make sure everyone is ready and has that varsity mentality.”

And that’s just fine with junior Ti’mon Reed, who said, “I feel Coach Moon brings toughness in the team and pride for everyone to win.”

The team is scheduled to face Lake Orion and Bloomfield at Lake Orion on January 13. Their next home match is scheduled for Jan. 20 with Avondale and Troy, at 5 p.m.